Holmes vs. Holmes
Dr. Holmes is a character in the book Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf who, as a character, is used to show the incompetence of psychologists in the 1920's. He does not understand Septimus' shell shock, and claims "There was nothing whatever the matter," which only sends Septimus further into what can only be described as his delusional state. Septimus after claims "there was no excuse; nothing whatever, except the sin for which human nature had condemned him to death" (Woolf, 79). While Rezia does recognize that this approach is not helping Septimus and takes him to a different doctor, the damage is done. Dr. Holmes is portrayed as a man who saw one or two trees and assumed a vast forest of knowledge.
Likewise, in Arthur Conan Doyle’s series of Sherlock Holmes, the character of Sherlock Holmes is portrayed as a man who understands everything. He sees a bell without a pull? Exotic snake. He looks at drawings of dancing stick figures? It’s a code! Falls down a waterfall? Wow, he survives! Miraculous. In each story, he comes to what would most likely be a highly irrational conclusion which would get him fired from any bureau, had it not somehow been the correct answer. At least, this seems to be Virginia Woolf’s main complaint. Before she wrote Mrs. Dalloway, Woolf wrote an essay titled Mr. Bennett and Mrs. Brown, in which she complains directly of Conan Doyle’s work by saying, quote, “to me Dr. Watson is a sack stuffed with straw, a dummy, a figure of fun.” While not speaking of Sherlock directly, it’s clear her view on the entire series is that of mild disdain. She feels his book is for the purpose of fanciful entertainment, and that trying to view Holmes as anything other than caricature is stupid.
In her novel, she uses Holmes to make fun of Holmes, and uses his line of thinking (the sparse evidence leading to an illogical conclusion) to make a statement about how Conan Doyle’s work would have worked out realistically. I don’t think she was directly trying to make a metacommentary on the dangers of following the ideals of your favorite characters, it can certainly be read as such.
While I personally don’t agree with Woolf on the idea that Holmes is an unrealistically omnipotent caricature of a detective (I actually quite love the series), I am also petty, and can appreciate the dedication to hating. Naming an incompetent character who unknowingly drives a mentally unstable man to suicide after the main character of one of the most well known series of all time is a level of petty I strive to be.
Hi Elanor, firstly I just wanted to say I really liked your tree metaphor. Was that also a "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" reference? Oftentimes, I forget that authors literally read other's author's works and had opinions on them. This was a really fascinating blog to read and a really cool connection that you made. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteHi Elanor! I really enjoyed reading this. I don't think it would've crossed my mind that Dr. Holmes's name was anything more than coincidence, but now that you've pointed it out it makes perfect sense that Holmes's character was a byproduct of Virginia Woolf's hatred of Arthur Conan Doyle, especially when you compare the way that Woolf's character jumps to conclusions to the way that Sherlock Holmes does. I guess even famous authors are allowed to be a little petty every once in a while.
ReplyDeleteHello! Awesome blog post! I had never considered the connections between the popular detective and the doctor in Mrs. Dalloway, though now it seems like I should have! I wonder if there are any other character-named-connections in other pieces of Virigina Woolfe's books? How do you think she comes up with her character names? They are quite unique!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with this suggestion, and in fact I once wrote a blog post on this very topic--associating Woolf's Dr. Holmes with her critique of Dr. Watson as a "character." I like the idea that he also embodies a very Victorian faith in Sherlock's relentless rationalism, and especially his confidence as he declares his verdict. Woolf's Dr. Holmes is SO overconfident in his assurance that "nothing whatever is wrong" with Septimus, and when he is tragically proven to be wrong, he throws up his hands and says "who could have foretold it?" His rationality has reached its limits, and he would no doubt be shocked to learn that in a quite literal sense Septimus leaps from the window in an effort to escape Dr. Holmes and rationality/"human nature." Indeed, MANY readers "could have foretold it"--Septimus is articulating his desire to die throughout the book, and it's the reason Lucrezia seeks treatment in the first place. But Holmes is so committed to his "nothing wrong, try going outdoors more often" approach that he can't see what's right in front of his face.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen it documented, but I have no doubt that Woolf's Dr. Holmes is a direct allusion to Conan Doyle's sidekick.
I think it's really cool that you tied Sherlock Holmes to the character in Mrs. Dalloway. This is yet another example of how Woolf's distinct writing style and character-building preferences tie into the story. I can definitely see how Woolf is referencing Sherlock Holmes here.
ReplyDeleteHi Elanor! Great blog! When I first read the doctor's name in Mrs. Dalloway, I instantly thought of Sherlock Holmes. While at the time I couldn't see any connection between the two, thinking of it as a coincidence, after reading this blog I can see the similarities that the two share, aswell as pettiness that Woolf had when writing him.
ReplyDeleteHi Elanor! I can totally agree with the sentiment that Dr. Holmes is meant to be a satire of both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson - with the combination of the larger-than-life intellectual confidence of Holmes (the detective) and the "yes-man" aspects of the doctor (Watson). Though, I wonder if there are more specific lines of dialogue that were pulled and twisted from the actual Conan Doyle writings that made it into Mrs. Dalloway; as there were moments where I questioned about how descriptive some irritations could be. This was a great post - and if you haven't watched it already, I would definitely recommend the 1984 series of Sherlock Holmes!
ReplyDelete